Saturday, March 24, 2012

The Medicine Woman and Knowing The Way

My journey to the Medicine Woman began at the gas station (I think it was a HESS) and as I made my way out of the station, a man in a service van said to me, "they said the Sun wasn't going to shine today but it just walked out right now." He was referring to me, or, better yet, something I think he must have noticed within me. I immediately told him that he'd made my day, hopped into my car, and set out on my 2 hour journey to the Medicine Lodge. Before I get too far ahead of mysef, I'd like to imagine that what the man saw was an image of the Creator; words like the ones he'd say to me go so much deeper than mere physical beauty. "I'm not self-destructive." I told myself those words in my heart and acknowledged that the Son/Sun lives within me as I pulled out of the parking lot heading West. 


My guess was that it was 8:30am when i'd really gotten on the road. Part of me worried and fretted that I would not know 'The Way' because it'd been such a long time since i'd visited Robin and i'd forgotten the directions then too. But, as Providence would have it, I arrived at Robin's home with 5 minutes to spare. That really speaks to the power of our memories/inutition/ability to trust. It seems to me that, deep down, we always know the way if we listen and have trust in our inner voice. I wondered what made Saturday's journey so different from all the others? Intuition is the simplest answer I think. Lena has always known 'The Way'--confusing as it can be. I approached the door with the rabbit's pelt, knocked [Matt 7 vs 7], and she opened the door. Robin greeted me with a hug that was almost maternal and immediately I felt welcome (As always) in the Flower Eagle Medicine Lodge. 


Robin is an old friend and guide of mine. Words really can't describe how glad I was to see this wonderful woman! We spoke for a little while of the blessings the Spirit of Life had granted the both of us and if there was any other small talk, I really can't say I recall it now. She asks, "What are you doing for yourself spiritually? " To which i responded, "I have a Diary!" She now knows about how I 'Come Clean' to the Creator without fear of judgement or condemnation or any of those things that keep people from speaking their hearts to the Divine. She knows about how good it feels for me to put my words (silent though they are) wholeheartedly out into the Universe. There's more to what happened at the medicine lodge but I think it's best to keep that for me.....unless you really want to know.


 At the close of it I asked Robin for a blessing in my journey forward (who knows when we'll next see each other?) Standing on my own two feet I waited with my eyes closed and my heart open...Robin dipped an Eagle feather in water mixed with an essential oil called 'Joy' and spoke the words of a simple prayer: (She touches my palms with the feather) "Great Spirit, bless this Woman's hands as she does good works. (She touches the tops of my feet with the feather) bless this Woman's feet on her journey."As a parting gift, Robin gives me a vulture's feather she'd pick up somewhere all her own journey. Now, before you give the side-eye understand that without the vulture and his medicine we'd be covered in dead matter and old things that prevent us from growing, to say the least, I am very grateful for this present.

No comments:

Post a Comment