Thursday, February 7, 2013

Tips for Loving Your Body

#thatawkwardmomentwhen

We look in the mirror and decide we are having a tough time liking that which looks back at us.We've all been there and back again and you know what I'm talking about. I'm talking about with our bodies. Yes, even me--especially me. There have been days when right before I hop in the shower, I want to fall to pieces because I'm not shaped like her, her, or that other lady. But when the hot water hits me (most times) my insecurities go right down the drain, along with the grit of a long day working in the District. When I have those days that not even the best shower works, I've noticed that it's good for me to reflect on all 5 ft and ___ lbs of me, and then go about doing things that remind of me why it's so good to be in the skin I'm in.

Of course, these are just my own personal ideas and you are free to reject them. No harm. No foul.

1. Start from the inside out:

Your body is the house that God lives in. If you don't believe in God, well, the process of evolution/natural selection took several billion years to 'fashion' that which would become you. That's some pretty cool stuff to reflect on. Everything was in exactly the right place and the right way when you came into being. You are made up of the stuff of the Universe.

2. Functionality:

Remember that your body works for you. What could be more beautiful than something that can 'make it do what it do'?

3.  On the outside:

Someone, somewhere--perhaps closer than you realize, will love your body and find you irresistible.

4. Treat it

Visit a massage parlor (I'm not kidding). Touch always makes you feel good. Skilled massage therapists, like the one I visit, can make you feel so relaxed; hot stones plus massage oils smooth away anxiety, fear, stress, and all those other nasty things that keep us from seeing ourselves as who we truly are. Or you can go out and get some food that you enjoy or haven't tried before.

5.  Work it

Wear clothes that accentuate what you have and make you feel like you are the most interesting and fun person in the world. Before you know it, you'll realize it was never the clothes at all.

6.  Realize that you can't please everyone; not even Beyonce (or JANET JACKSON) can do that. Just because most people think one way about you, doesn't mean that everyone else does.

7. Everything is transient--well not everything

The body is only a temporary vehicle for a soul that is perfect, immortal, and worthy of love.


Happy Valentines Day





1 comment:

  1. i definitely need to do number 4. i almost said "more often" but then realized i really don't do it at all. great post!

    ReplyDelete